20 May 2008

"Living day by day, pulling stuff out of your arse."

Mostly, I've left Tim Winton to other chaps. I read Cloudstreet a few thousand years ago, because everyone else was, but it didn't quite fly with the Oxbridge/Albionesque/ and-did-these-hills-in-ancient-times/Elliot/Thackery/Waugh/Greene phase I was going through at the time. About three years ago I read The Riders, and loved it — adored it even! was transfixed by it! — then forgot about it, and him, completely.

So goodness me but I was rather surprised to find myself listening to Tim Winton talk about his new novel Breath at the Anatheum Theatre in Melbourne the other night. My mate took me — got freebies, you see, she said, tapping the side of her nose with one of those pencils with a rubber on the end of it. And I loved it, I loved him, I bought his book and now I'm loving the book. He began very breathy himself. Nervous and hesitant, in fact talking about being nervous, but apparently happy to give it a crack one more time. He's been doing these author appearances for a long time, but he seems to pretty much hate them. He was badly dressed and a bit fat and of course he still has his horrible hair. He shouldn't be an attractive man, but then there's talent and charisma and all that stuff. He has that. He looked out of place, in a building.

What was interestingest was the way in which he concealed this learned lyricism behind his fish 'n chips mateyness. He'd be talking about keeping good surf breaks secret or the trauma of middle-order kids, then suddenly string together seven words that, individually, I'd probably have to look up in a dictionary, but in sequence and with context and his own economical poetry transmitted some amazing insight that made the audience gasp and mummer. He doesn't look clever, but he's very clever. Very nice too. He seemed like a very nice man.

He had some lovely insights on writing: "Living day by day, pulling stuff out your arse." Later: "I have to. I need to earn money. There is no Plan B. There has never been a Plan B." (Later, ruminating on this lack of a Plan B, he mentions his son, something about seeing his sins revisited. It made me think, someday the son will be the father's age, and he'll say, "My father saw in me the thing that drove and tormented him.")

Before he started working on Breath, he was working on another novel that he could not make work, and it turned him "in hate with the world, in anguish, getting myself in to hell's own tizz".

His favourite writers are Mark Twain and Faulkner and another I can't remember.

He says: "The day you finish a book is simply the day you decide to finish. For everybody's sake."

So, anyway, I'm reading it now. Breath, I mean. Tell you about it when I'm done.

9 comments:

audrey said...

Oh God no, not The Riders! I hated hated hated HATED that book! I hated how completely absent any kind of understanding for Jennifer was, how Scully was the embodiment of the idea that a man will go to the ends of the earth for his family but was written in such a fey and cringesome manner. The whole thing to me was one giant masturbatory session for Winton to try and make sweeping statements about men and women and marriage but never actually have to engage with the female character in it at all.

BLEUGH. HATE.

Miss Schlegel said...

But Audrey, what did you really think?

I must say I must have forgotten I was a feminist when I read it because I can't remember thinking the women were underdrawn. In fact, I can't remember the wife at all — which would seem to prove your point. I just remember that it spooked me out.

Now I have to reassess everything. Damn.

Becki said...

Interesting. I'd never heard of him before. Thanks for sharing :)

Found your blog through NaCoLeavMo.

MsPrufrock said...

I'm here via NCLM, something which I need to start saying more creatively, because YAWN.

Anyway, I have nothing worthy of discussion regarding this particular post, but a quick perusal of your previous posts and sidebar elements has made me quite excited indeed. I am too busy pretending to work at the moment, but I'll be back!

Sam said...

That was a great review, of the author and book. You came at it a very different way than a traditional, boring review. Nice!

Kim said...

I will have to check it out. Here from NCLM

Eliza said...

Hmm...not a big Winton fan myself but I'm down with some Philip Larkin. I always used to teach "High Windows" last thing at the end of the semester so that anybody who failed to have their breath taken away by the way Larkin so economically commented on the ways in which the industrial revolution changed society and globalism morality and/or took issue with the eff-word would be too dazzled by the light at the end of the tunnel to whine to the dean about it. Hahaha...

Pants said...

Hello Ms Schlegel

Love him. Love his books. Breath is the best book I've read in years. No one else picked up on the Twain reference - despite the book being set in the town of 'Sawyer' and it being about two boys messing about on the water. Nice insight too.

xxx

Pants

Miss Schlegel said...

Oh my lord. Sawyer. The surfboard as raft. The chums. The wise older bloke.

Pants, you are a cleverpants.